Healthy eating means different things to different people. At Nutrition Ignition we believe that healthy eating is eating foods that:
- Give us all the nutrients our bodies need to function, and
- Give us the energy we need to do the things we like to do!
ALL FOODS FIT in this definition of healthy eating! The key is to be sensible – eat nutritiously most of time and enjoy “other” foods every once in a while. Remember: food is to be enjoyed!
Canada’s Food Guide
A Healthy Plate
The healthy plate model is a simple guide that helps you plan both your and your child’s meals. Using the healthy plate model is a great way to eat more variety of the foods you love.
How to Create a Healthy Plate
Follow these 5 simple steps:
- Fill 1/2 of your plate with vegetables or fruit. Vegetables should be the star of the plate.
- Fill 1/4 of your plate with grain products with a focus on whole grain foods.
- Fill 1/4 of your plate with protein foods. Try to choose plant proteins over animal proteins.
- Have one glass of water or other beverage.
- Choose fruit more often for a delicious dessert.
Even when using the healthy plate model, remember to eat a variety of foods that you enjoy!